What is a Project?
A project is a set of related tasks that last for a specific amount of time and then end (hopefully successfully).there are different types of project such as technical project, innovation project, R&D project, project for establishing management information system, quality improvement project as so an and so forth.
What is Project Management System PMS?
Project Management is concerned with principles, techniques & tools used in planning, control, monitoring and review of projects in the organization.
Project Management also involves taking leadership of the people involved in the project and makings sure each task within the project is completed within the allocated amount of time, or in some cases the desirable amount of time.
The project management system consists of several phases in which we shall highlight below one of them for our basic understanding:
- Project Management System PMS: Five Phases at a glance.
- INITIATION: This is the starting point of the project phase and it usually begins with a business case, the goal of this phase is to define the project at a broad level. Also at this stage, will make full research whether the project is feasible and if it should be taken etc
- PLANNING: The planning phase of a project focuses on the road map everyone will follow which begins with goal setting.SMART goals principles can be applied. Also at this stage, the scope of the project is defined and a project management plan is developed. This stage involves identifying the cost, issues, scope, quality, time, risk, responsibility, available resources etc
- EXECUTION: The execution stage of project management is a stage where deliverables are developed and completed. Activities took place during this stage e.g status reports and meetings, development updates, and performance reports. A “kick-off” meeting usually marks the start of the project execution phase where the teams involved are informed of their responsibilities are established.
- MONITORING AND CONTROLLING: This phase of the project management is all about measuring project progression and performance and ensuring that everything happening aligns with the project management plan. the project manager usually use key performance indicators (KPIs) to determine if the project is on track or not etc
- CLOSING: This phase represents the completed project. At this stage, the principle of lesson learned activity is also undertaken.
You can see more of our management training, business, and marketing materials HERE.