Ten commandments of effective leadership that can be applied in the organization
- Vision: Thou shalt walk by faith and not by sight. Envision in your mind of what you cannot see with your eyes. Stephen covey posits all things are created twice. There is a mental (first) creation and a physical (second) creation. The physical creation follows the mental, just as a building follows a blueprint .Effective leadership have a clear vision of the desired direction and destination and then continue to make things happen.
- Authenticity: Thou shalt practice what you preach. Authenticity acts as a catalyst that earns the respect of followers. The more people trust you the easier they will follow your lead(follow your vision).
- Communication: Thou shalt be quick to listen and slow to speak. Great leaders listen twice as much as they speak. They listen with the intention of understanding. Listening can solve a host of problems, bring creativity, give insights and not to mention show people that you care. Additionally speak words of life to uplift others not to criticize and pull them down.
- Humility: is a foundational leadership strength. The true leaders always aim to serve rather than be served. Humble leaders use their power to empower others. They are able to genuinely relate to and empathize with their followers. They draw people by humility and honour, not by position and power.
- Integrity: Thou shalt not covet, steal or lie. Leadership is not a right but a privilege bestowed upon followers. To whom much is given much is required. Your decisions can affect negatively or positively the livelihood of others. Accountability is important for effective leadership.
- Gratitude: Thou shall give and it will be returned unto you. Giving creates a boomerang effect its a universal law, the more you gave is the more you receive. One does not function independently. It is essential to understand your place in the industry and society both locally and globally. Hoarding makes you like a stagnant pond instead endeavour to be an ever-flowing fountain.
- Balance and well being: Thou shalt keep a day of rest. Taking time for yourself is crucial to leadership. While leadership is about execution, getting things done, and action it also requires time to unplug, reflect and for refreshment. Your effectiveness and maybe even your longevity as a leader depends directly on finding and establishing regular periods to recharge.
- Continuous Learning: Thou shalt seek knowledge and wisdom. Wisdom is fundamental to leadership existence wisdom is the effective application of knowledge. Knowledge will only get you so far, its wisdom that will give you the edge. Continuous self-growth and learning is the most effective way of leadership to survive competition and manage charge. When one stops learning it is a sure sign of decline in one’s leadership status.
- Inspiration: Thou shalt effective leadership people through the wilderness to the promised land. Inspirational effective leadership is about energizing and creating a sense of direction and purpose for followers and excitement and momentum to achieve goals. Inspirational leaders are capable of taking an organization and people to new heights or level.
- Reward and recognition: Thou shalt give honour unto whom it’s due. If an employee feels their efforts and hard work aren’t appreciated they may get disgruntled. Great leaders openly praise their team and publicly acknowledge their contributions. They try to understand the source of motivation of their followers to harness that desire to serve the common good.
You can see more of our management training, business, and marketing materials HERE.